Dates listed above are to volunteer for the upcoming semester. We review all applications on the 15th of the month before the semester starts. Research Shop Staff hire Team Leads and recruit volunteers, matching them with projects that interest them.
Frequently Asked Questions About Volunteering
- Working with a Team Lead and in small teams over the course of an academic semester (volunteering an average of 5 hours/week),
- Attending weekly (or bi-weekly) team meetings,
- Conducting research,
- Co-authoring your team’s research report.
- Work with colleagues from across disciplines,
- Make connections with community organizations in Hamilton,
- Learn firsthand about the challenges facing today’s public and non-profit organizations,
- Translate your academic training to solve practical, pressing issues
- Build your CV and portfolio,
- Receive a statement of professional learning in the form of a reference letter or certificate.
- At minimum, Research Associates must have completed the third year of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Some research experience is preferred, such as the ability to locate and evaluate secondary sources, sound knowledge of quantitative and/or qualitative methods, and/or the ability to synthesize complex information.
- Strong professional skills including the ability to work independently and in teams, meet deadlines, communicate effectively over email, and manage time efficiently.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to ask questions and give and receive critical feedback.
- Strong writing skills are an asset.
- Ability to meet with your team weekly or biweekly, ideally during workday hours. Students with extremely restrictive schedules are encouraged to reflect on their capacity to commit to weekly meetings and research activities.
We look forward to working with you. Before submitting your application, please review our past projects on MacSphere to get a feel for the kind of research we do. If you’re still interested, please apply through our website and a member of our team will contact you with the next application review date.